The U.S. May Resume Military Action Against Iran Under the Codename “Operation Sledgehammer”

According to a report by NBC News citing two U.S. officials, ceasefire negotiations with Iran have collapsed, and President Donald Trump is preparing to resume large-scale military operations. At the same time, the military is reportedly considering renaming the war against Iran as “Operation Sledgehammer.” The administration may also seek to restart the 60-day military engagement period under U.S. law that requires congressional authorization for combat operations.
The United States and Israel jointly launched a major military campaign against Iran on February 28. Last month, Washington suspended the airstrike campaign known as “Operation Epic Fury” and instead shifted to a strategy focused on blockading Iranian ports to increase pressure. Iran responded by stating that it would not reopen the Strait of Hormuz unless Washington ended the blockade.
If the ongoing diplomatic negotiations fail to produce a permanent resolution, the United States is highly likely to resume and expand military operations against Iran. U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth stated, “We have escalation plans if necessary.” He also acknowledged that the White House has another contingency plan involving the complete withdrawal of more than 50,000 American personnel from the Middle East.
Two Middle Eastern officials told The New York Times that Israel and the United States are conducting intensive preparations for renewed attacks on Iran. According to officials cited by the newspaper, options for restarting military and infrastructure operations against Iran include bombing strategic sites, seizing Kharg Island — Iran’s main oil export hub in the Persian Gulf — and deploying special operations forces into Iran to remove nuclear materials buried beneath previously bombed ruins.
Under the 1973 War Powers Resolution, the president must notify Congress within 48 hours of initiating military action and obtain authorization, or otherwise withdraw forces within 60 days. Last week, Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters that “Operation Epic Fury” had concluded. Observers believe that if military action resumes, President Donald Trump may adopt a different operation name to avoid domestic legal challenges and congressional backlash.
- 16 reads
Human Rights
Fostering a More Humane World: The 28th Eurasian Economic Summi

Conscience, Hope, and Action: Keys to Global Peace and Sustainability

Ringing FOWPAL’s Peace Bell for the World:Nobel Peace Prize Laureates’ Visions and Actions

Protecting the World’s Cultural Diversity for a Sustainable Future

Puppet Show I International Friendship Day 2020

